Jonathan O Cress
Jonathan O. Cress concentrates much of his practice in the areas of family law, collections and business law. Jonathan offers expertise in all areas of family law, including divorce, custody, visitation, child support, adoption and guardianships. He serves his clients as a passionate advocate. Jonathan understands the emotions turmoil and uncertainty that clients can experience during this very difficult time. Always committed to his clients, Jonathan has a unwavering drive to provide strong but compassionate legal representation.
In addition, Jonathan focuses a large part of his practice to the area of collections. His collection practice consists of area businesses, including small business owners, dentist, doctors, and real estate brokers. Jonathan is a strong advocate for creditor rights. He regularly obtains judgments for his clients and then purses collections measures against the debtor by proceeding supplemental, garnishments, wage assignments and writs of attachments to satisfy his client's judgments.
Jonathan also provides a wide array of corporate services, including guidance in entity selection and assistance in the formation of corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies, sole proprietorships and other types of businesses and professional entities. He as assists clients with business sales and acquisitions; negotiation of transactions; drafting of contracts, buy-sell agreements and other documents relative to a client's business; and ongoing representation of clients.
Other areas of practice include criminal defense, both misdemeanors and felonies. Jonathan also represents client in real estate transactions. He frequently prepares estate planning documents for clients and assists there love ones in administration of their estate upon their death. Jonathan also provides expertise in general civil ligation matters.
- Valparaiso University School of Law, Valparaiso, Indiana
- Juris Doctor - 2005
- Major: Business Law Concentration
- Trine University
- B.S. - 2002
- Honors: With Honors
- Major: Business Administration
- Valparaiso Unity School of Law, Tax Clinic
- Steuben County Tourism Bureau, Board of Director
- Fremont High School, Freshman Boys Basketball Coach
- Fremont Youth Football League, Referee
- Fremont Youth Softball League, Minor League Commissioner
- Cameron Memorial Ball; Committee Chair
- Volunteer Pro Bono Program, Attorney
- Department of Child Services, Contract Attorney
- La Porte Circuit Court, The Honorable Robert W. Gilmore, Jr., Law Clerk
- Porter Superior Court, Honorable Julia Jent, Law Clerk
- American Bar Association
- Indiana State Bar Association
- Steuben County Bar Association
Current Employment Position
- Family Law
- Business Law
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana
- Trine University Young Alumni Award (2008)
- NAIA All American Scholar Athlete 2001 & 2002